Designer for Iridescent
Iridescent is looking for a passionate designer to help build online tools that help how students engage in engineering and technology education. We are looking for someone who can join us to bring education opportunities to the world’s most neediest communities using technology tools!
Iridescent is a science and technology education nonprofit that reaches thousands of young people worldwide and teaches curiosity, creativity, and persistence. We are a small but mighty team. Our team is composed of educators, scientists, engineers, developers, designers and program managers. Together we have served over 100,000 people in over 100 countries over the last 10 years and we are excited to see what we can do over the next 10 years!
What you’ll build:
Our designer will take on the large challenge of making hands on engineering and technology programs tangible to children across the globe. You will be working on two online platforms for our programs.
- Our Curiosity Machine platform allows student to build engineering projects using everyday materials and instructed by videos and resources hosted on the online platform. It also allows them to document their progress at every step along the way and receive mentorship from trained scientists and engineers. It is often used in classrooms and enrichment programs to bring hands on science to students and connect them to role models.
- Our Technovation program connects teams of girls from around the world to powerful women mentors to learn technology entrepreneurship by creating mobile apps and business plans. The students and mentors use a web app to find teams & mentors, access curriculum, submit their app & business plan, and also receive scores from judges. The web app is a critical part of the program as well as the competition.
You will be involved in every step of the design process of both Technovation and Curiosity Machine online platforms — high level concepting, collaborative brainstorming, sketching, wireframing, visual design and front end implementation. You love solving complex interaction problems and have top notch visual and interaction chops. You see a thousand flaws on our website and can imagine a better user experience and design. You’ll team up with other engineers and PM across a diverse set of projects. If this sounds like you, let’s talk.
- Excitement about helping Iridescent bring education to underserved communities
- Eagerness to learn, educate, design, write code, and build products used by thousands of learners and teacher each year.
- Experience with client work and the ability to manage two projects back and forth
- Focused on being a user advocate with artistic point of view
- Can understand the technology of the medium you are working with (front end, intermediate to advanced DOM knowledge preferred)
- Ability to jump in and develop in a pinch
- Ability to clearly communicate with backend folks and also non-technical team members
- Ability to do stuff and learn on your own. And most importantly, to be a self starter!
- Empathy for our learners and educators!
- (Optional) Experience developing products for children, English learners, or working on mobile products
Benefits of working with us:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our team well.
- Opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the way education programs serve students around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Ability to work remotely with flexible hours.
- Paid time off and comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- An inclusive and excited team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your work.
How to apply:
- Send your resume to email@example.com
- Links to projects. We like to see a diverse design portfolio that showcases a deep understanding of human-centered interaction design and a strong design aesthetic. Please indicate if you wrote code for any of these projects as well as design.
- Pick a few things from our site that could use improvement, and walk us through your thought process with visual documentation of how you would improve certain features.